Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

I'm not one much given to guilty pleasures. If I like something, and it doesn't hurt anyone when I do it, I don't feel guilty. Ice-cream, Trader Joe's candy-cane Joe-Joe cookies, baiting Republicans: these are all pleasures, and I feel no guilt about enjoying them. Although the last one can feel a little too easy sometimes.....

But the other night I was reading a book, and was really into it. Ten PM came around and I looked at the thick sheaf of pages still unread, and I thought to myself that I wasn't going to finish it tonight, but I could read for another hour before I turned in. Round about eleven PM the thickness of unfinished pages was less, but still fairly substantial. Getting to sleep at midnight would still give me a solid six and a half hours of shut-eye, and that's not too bad. So around midnight I checked and noticed only about thirty or so pages left. Well, that's not enough to bother with putting the book down and starting up again the next day, so I might as well just finish it. And that's just what I did. Then I crawled into bed around 1:30 AM and got about five hours of sleep.

I really should have gone to bed earlier -- job, kids, etc..., but I did enjoy reading the book. Doing something you shouldn't do and enjoying it -- that's a guilty pleasure, right?

I still don't feel guilty.

Sidereal

No comments:

Post a Comment